Becoming a Member
Rockford Makerspace is a private facility and is not open to the public. All memberships are provisional and subject to review by Rockford MakerSpace leadership. We reserve the right to deny membership to anyone for any reason.
We require all of our Full Members to be of at least 18 years of age, and Youth Members to be at least 13 years of age. We welcome family and children of our full members; however, anyone under the age of 18 must have a signed parental liability waiver on file and be accompanied by a Full Member, and anyone under the age of 16 must also have a signed parental liability waiver on file, be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, and be accompanied by a Full Member (who may also be the parent or guardian).
Start as a Guest
- Visit the space during Open Hours.
- Attend public meetings and events (see website for calendar)
- Visit and use tools anytime a member can host you
- SIGN A WAIVER
Become a Member
- Visit the space at least twice before joining. Get to know us!
- Complete the Member Application (either online or downloaded and printed)
- Read through the Member Handbook and the Rules and Regulations
- Meet with a Board Member, Operations Committee member or Area Captain to complete the sign-up process
- Pay your first full month's dues
- Verify that you have been added to members-only communications channels, and send a “Hi I'm... ” message to the members list telling us about yourself.
- Complete a short probationary period.
There is a two-step process to join Rockford MakerSpace. To begin, fill out a membership application (either online or downloaded and printed) and pay the first full month’s membership fee (and a prorated fee if joining mid-month). Once your application has been completed and your application fee is processed, you will become a Probationary Member.
The probationary period typically lasts for one calendar month. During this period, Probationary Members are encouraged to attend Rockford MakerSpace meetups and events. We want Probationary Members to be diligent in coming to meetings and to make a good attempt to get to know our current members – speak up, introduce yourself, and get involved! Once a Probationary Member has attended at least two (2) regular meetings he/she will become eligible for Active Membership.
Members will be given the opportunity to voice any concerns regarding Probationary Members during the probationary period. If no issues are raised, the Probationary Member will be promoted to Active Membership. If any issues are raised with the Probationary Member, the Operations Committee must either agree upon terms to resolve those issues and provide the terms of resolution to the Probationary Member or the Operations Committee may deny the Probationary Member an Active Membership and refund their first month’s fee. Once all issues are resolved to the Operation Committee’s satisfaction, the Probationary Member will be promoted to an Active Member.
Youth Membership Policy
In accordance with the educational aspect of our mission, we not only accept, but encourage young people to learn and make with us by becoming members. Any member under the age of 18 is considered a "Youth Member" and special restrictions apply.
- Persons aged 13 thru 18 are eligible to join as Youth Members.
- Persons aged 16 thru 18 must have a parental liability waiver signed and must have an adult Member willing to host them present while at the MakerSpace.
- Persons aged 13 thru 15 must have a parental liability waiver signed and must have a parent/legal guardian AND an adult Member (may be same person) willing to host them present while at the MakerSpace.